Posted 4/10/2013
Similar to LordDeath's  "Romance Anime: For GUYS and GIRLS".
This is to both sides opinion on Harems.

Posted 4/10/2013
I'm tired of Harem anime. Every time I see a harem my opinion of it is almost shattered. Normally am not too cynical when it comes to anime but I've seen literally hundreds of these series! And I'm not joking when I say hundreds. Granted, I do typically look away when the harem factor is only in the background. Such as Total Eclipse etc.

Now I will make an exception for reverse harem. With hundreds to thousands of these suckers it's a breath of fresh air to see the girls getting a chance. Just not sure why the magic number is always 4. lol Guess it's a Saiyuki thing.

This pet peeve is up there with cookie cutter moe characters.

Beware of the moe!

Posted 4/10/2013
That is very true I guess I'm still new to the Otaku World(Why do I always call it that?)

Anyways I don't like most Harems for several reasons!
-Just an excuse for echii
-No plot!!!
-Love is undefined...
-THE MALE IS A HENTAI!
-The girls paw over him when he is jerk I mean come on try a little!
Well that about sums it up.

Posted 4/10/2013
This is not to say there are not any worth while harems out there of course!

Posted 4/10/2013
Soon as I see it's harem, I don't even bother...

Posted 4/10/2013
No no no you can't out right toss an Anime because of it's genre unless it's not your taste. But what about harems like ummm... Love Hina I heard that was decent! Though I never saw it before.

Posted 4/10/2013
Sadly, Love Hina and Tenchi are one of the few exceptions and also some of the series that defined the genre (mainly Tenchi). However, the industry has just become so obsessed with the series it's not even funny. I tend to think harem and ecchi type series are more marketed to an audience not as familiar with anime or are just getting into it.

Anything beyond the 1990s is almost a waste of time to watch more than 10 minutes before deciding to move on. Plus with thousands of anime series it's not a big deal to be a little judgmental and block out a genre completely. I tend to do it with harem and loli.

Posted 4/10/2013
I don't know if you would consider Ah! My Goddess a harem, 'cause Keiichi is the only male character living with a few goddesses, and one which he really likes and vice versa... okay so maybe it's a harem. But it's a really fun anime to watch, and it's old school, just like Love Hina and Tenchi. It's probably worth watching because it's old school.

Posted 4/11/2013
I tend not to take a lot of the Japanese crazes too seriously. The way the Japanese present females in a lot of anime is unrealistic to begin with so I usually let a lot of the ridiculousness of harem or moe scenarios roll off my shoulder lol. I haven't been beaten over the head with a bunch of harem series like WestNyorai has (though I have seen my fair share) so I guess I'm a little more tolerant.

I agree with Awsome about being bugged by the fact that love is undefined but beyond that I don't mind the ecchi aspects (they make me laugh mostly) or the fact that the male is a perv and I haven't really seen any extremely jerky male characters.

The only thing I can say truly bothers me with a lot of harem themed series is that nothing ever seems to get resolved...they don't clearly establish the guy's choice of girl or even whether or not all of the females intend to continue just sharing him. If they would just bring the damn thing to some sort of clear resolution other than ending the series basically the same way it started, I'd be ten times happier lol.

Posted 4/12/2013
Alright I plan to say a more educated statement on the matter. For one most of the Harem I have seen which are few as I'm still to this anyways love doesn't contain much meaning in Harems. Love is rather vague Harems as I feel the females that fall in love with the male character is unjust two examples being Highschool DxD and Shuffle and Sekirei! The woman who fall in love for the male have no real reason to do so and the males in most harem are not in love there just running off of hormones. Love is something that must be obtained and earned not simply thrown around for the sake of the plot that does not matter. And in most harems it would seem the love is forced wheter it be because the woman fear the competition or something along those lines. If love is forced or random with no reason to justify it it is either forced bad chemistry or bustling hormones!

Now as far as the males they are either a pervert with power or no powers, a teen trying to pass the enterence exams, or a inexperienced guy with the high chance of having problems with girls what a shocker! The males as I have observed are usually saved by the girl no problem there but the male no he does not do a thing but attract fan service! Now I know the male can't fight off the monster but at least try to do something in your power like helping your little harem through emotional stuff to build up proper feelings and not get a nosebleed. Now the guys have powers can't seem to use it right and thus prove useless in that aspect at least until the end of the season righttttt. 

The thing I wish for most of all is for there to be a male that considers the feelings of the females and that fan-service doesn't creep into every darn conversation! Oh for there to be real romance not the smell of over active hormones.

Now I ask you the community if they have any examples of real romance harems anyone at all come on.

Posted 4/12/2013
Hmm...have you seen Princess Lover? I saw it recently and as far as more realistic feelings and development of female characters goes I thought it did a decent job considering it was harem themed. The females actually had realistic reasons for being attracted to the male and the male wasn't extremely perverted.

AND there was more of a resolution than most other harem themed anime because the male character actually made a decision about which female he wanted to focus his attentions on. Plus as a male character he wasn't completely useless either! That's always a good thing right?

Posted 4/12/2013
Actually yes I have seen it that's why I didn't mention it. I still feel they could of weakened the echii a little. And yes if the male is useful it means he put forth effort to show care or protection for the one he cares about and possibly loves or does so to gain the girls favor as a responsible man. Still I don't remember why the pink-haired girl fell for him in the very begging do you?

Posted 4/14/2013
Samurai Bride is here this spring for all you ecchi lovers out there. I actually watched the first episode of the first series, samurai girl, a while ago. It's not bad in terms of plot, but I just couldn't stand it. But I think if ecchi harem isn't your pet peeve, you should give it a chance. The animation is great, so is the fighting and character designs.

Posted 4/14/2013
You see the problem is that I don't hate ecchi harem but if it gets in the way of the plot that is upsetting. I have seen one episode of Samurai Girl perhaps I will see it censored.

Said by... "TheAwsome"

Posted 4/14/2013
I saw the first episode and it was alright but not something I plan to watch this season. For those who love action harem series I'm sure it'll be a great hit.

Posted 4/15/2013

Awsome: by pink haired girl do you mean Charlotte? If you mean Charlotte then she fell for him because he saved her from the guys that were chasing down her carriage and trying to kill her in the very beginning. But I do think they showed her progressively falling for him instead of an overnight thing.

complex: I've been eyeing that series...still debating whether or not I'm going to watch it lol. I'm just finishing up REC and LOVED it to pieces so I'll be moving on to a new series soon...most likely Waiting in the Summer. 

Permanently remove poll and all votes forever.
Open
Notice
Closed
Deleted
Edit Post
Cancel Edit
Achievement!
Document the discovery of a new anime.
#38646;