Posted 6/17/2013
For the fans of sci-fi out there I wanted to talk the genre in general. In Anime we mechs and time travel. We even venture into far galaxies where the universe must be saved from peril. So how do you guys feel about sci-fi?

Posted By... "TheAwsome"

Posted 6/17/2013
Look at super awesome Gene Starwind! Love Outlaw Star 

Posted 6/17/2013
I like the Sci-Fi genre...I think it gets to dip into and incorporate a lot of other genres and that's always a good thing 

Posted 6/17/2013
I have always had a love for science so this genre really gets to me. One of my favorite aspects are all the cool technology that is used I mean how does it work?

By... "TheAwsome"

Posted 6/17/2013
Hmm...since I am a science major I do often find myself having to just forget the things I know and immerse myself in the version of the universe the writer has created. Like sometimes when I'm watching sci-fi (or even other genres) and I know something is wrong or impossible from a scientific viewpoint I have to fight with the scientist in me and remember that it's fictional 

It can be hard to suspend your disbelief sometimes haha

Posted 6/17/2013
I see you understand.

I myself always seem to try to find a bit of reality in it though. It is rather fun imaging how some of it works.

Respect from... "TheAwsome"

Posted 6/17/2013
Hmm...since I am a science major I do often find myself having to just forget the things I know and immerse myself in the version of the universe the writer has created. Like sometimes when I'm watching sci-fi (or even other genres) and I know something is wrong or impossible from a scientific viewpoint I have to fight with the scientist in me and remember that it's fictional 

Thus the reason I don't like watching hackers in movies. Yep, I'm so sure all those flashy 3D objects help you break into back records. At least anime is smart enough to not show what the person is doing on the monitor most of the time.

Posted 6/17/2013
I wouldn't immediately discard sci-fi technology as being unrealistic or impossible. Certain technologies from sci-fi are present today. Like holographic projections for example. A few months ago I also read an article about tractor beams, and the author made allusion tractor beams from Star Trek. 

Posted 6/18/2013
I wouldn't immediately discard sci-fi technology as being unrealistic or impossible. Certain technologies from sci-fi are present today. Like holographic projections for example. A few months ago I also read an article about tractor beams, and the author made allusion tractor beams from Star Trek. 

Really! Goes to research...

Posted 6/18/2013
Lol, well yes, holograms have already been publicly used. On top of your research check these articles: http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/news/?q=tractor%20beam
The one I read was the first one.

Posted 6/18/2013
I am now looking past holograms and into nanotech. Some of this stuff is amazing we can make things at the nano level like motors or circuits like we are already seeing in some phones. Man made molecules we no longer depend on nature to make us molecules. They are making solar technology that works off of plastic.

http://youtu.be/mEH6tDLKcVU 

http://youtu.be/iXcfm10bvZo 

And this only some of it. The technology is amazing but scary I can't wait to see what happens.

By... "TheAwsome"

Posted 6/18/2013
Oh, I've seen this video before. Yeah it's basically a coat of nanotech that will keep the object dry no matter what you dip it in. Pretty cool!
And that other video is pretty interesting too.
But mankind will always need nature, especially for science. I mean, nature is where all elements come from.

Posted 6/18/2013
Yeah, you're right, nanotechnology, considering that it can enter cells, it's extremely scary. 

Posted 6/18/2013
Long as we don't see stuff like this in the future. I can't even imagine how many people face palmed over this.

Posted 6/18/2013
It would seem I've been away from the more important parts of the internet for far too long. Nyorai, is that video modified? Or is that what a current hologram or someone looks like. Even that Nano coating was something I'm just now learning about. Over on the Dollars we discussed Virtual Reality, but that was a while ago.

What exactly have I missed?

Posted 6/18/2013
What's The Dollars?
And I read the description of that video on youtube, the user who posted it says apparently it's not a hologram after all, but a similar type of tech..? But I suggest you all watch 2pac's holographic performance if you haven't already, just for the sake of seeing how real these projections look. Tupac was projected as a hologram on stage at Coachella 2012, and he performed with Snoop Dogg. It gave me chills, and actually I almost shed a tear being an old school junkie & all,  because he looked so real and for those who weren't old enough to witness his performances because we were too young, well that performance was really something. Here it is. He seems so real until Snoop comes in and we can see some sort of difference in proportions. Also notice how he stays in a certain area of the stage. Then there's the very end where he vanishes, cool!:
http://youtu.be/TGbrFmPBV0Y 

By the way, good to see you're back Eros. 

Long time no seeee.

Posted 6/18/2013
Yes welcome back Eros your presence was absent for a while. Holograms are invading as it seems and we don't even pay attention. Not to even mention nano technology. As for virtual reality it is already being made I think. Just like in sci-fi you use a helmet. I seem to be drifting from subjects.

Nano tech is becoming a major thing that will make things like space elevators a real possibility. We can make wiring and motors at a nano level. There are of course medical uses that will greatly increase the human life span.

Virtual reality is being made. It is not as great as you think but still awsome. It is likely to be added into gaming in the future.

As for holograms have any of you heard of  " Fractale" it sort of covers this.

By... "TheAwsome"

Posted 6/18/2013
It would seem I've been away from the more important parts of the internet for far too long. Nyorai, is that video modified? Or is that what a current hologram or someone looks like. Even that Nano coating was something I'm just now learning about. Over on the Dollars we discussed Virtual Reality, but that was a while ago.

What exactly have I missed?
 It was a complete fake and the press had a field day over how bad it was. They had so much build up for it only to be a 3D video made from shooting from multiple camera angles at once and poorly overlaying it on top of the broadcast. There was no hologram and Wolf Blitzer was talking to thin air the entire time. But what can you say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Posted 6/18/2013
*Sigh* Why would any one lie about that it is just silly. Even if the public thought it was true they would have to reveal there technology. Perhaps their intention was to simply fuel research in the field.

By... "TheAwsome"

Posted 6/18/2013

Thus the reason I don't like watching hackers in movies. Yep, I'm so sure all those flashy 3D objects help you break into back records. At least anime is smart enough to not show what the person is doing on the monitor most of the time.
 Lol yea all the flashy flashy stuff stopped being entertaining once I realized that what hackers did was a lot less glorified XP

complex: I'm not saying all of sci-fi tech is unrealistic or impossible to create...I meant that there are certain things that from a science point of view we know just can't happen. Like an inanimate object at rest will never move without some outside force acting on it, and a human being can't simply defy gravity without something assisting them to do so. Once in a while sci-fi stuff really stretches limits and you start to think "ok guys...even in sci-fi world that's a little hard to swallow." 

Posted 6/18/2013
*Sigh* Why would any one lie about that it is just silly. Even if the public thought it was true they would have to reveal there technology. Perhaps their intention was to simply fuel research in the field.

By... "TheAwsome"

It was during election coverage. lol It was for publicity only.
Permanently remove poll and all votes forever.
Open
Notice
Closed
Deleted
Edit Post
Cancel Edit
Achievement!
Document the discovery of a new anime.
#38646;