Posted 7/04/2013
We all have something special about ourselves, whether it is a talent, hobby, or interest.
Post anything related to something special about yourself and why it is special to you.

My special something is music related.
I can play the trumpet, baritone, trombone (and bass trombone), tuba (also the sousaphone), saxophone (alto, tenor, and barri), piano, harmonica, ocarina (five hole and triple), and accordion. I'm also learning how to play the guitar and violin. I have also made my own original songs. I enjoy the classical form of music because it is like writing; without words. With it, you can convey stories and emotions but at the same time, the song can be different to everybody listening. Like a artist's canvas or a writer's typewriter, silence is a musician's playground.

Posted 7/04/2013
Wow, that's an incredible list! I used to want to learn to play violin. It's so beautiful, and I love classical music. I don't really have anything so special about me like that, lol sorry. 

Posted 7/04/2013
Wow, that's an incredible list! I used to want to learn to play violin. It's so beautiful, and I love classical music. I don't really have anything so special about me like that, lol sorry. 

Pretty sure you have something. For starts you're a very good writer, smart, and have good taste when it comes to anime.

Also I like the new avatar.

For myself? My 3 big passions in life are computers, business, and anime. Which this site manages to capture all three.

Posted 7/04/2013

Pretty sure you have something. For starts you're a very good writer, smart, and have good taste when it comes to anime.

For myself? My 3 big passions in life are computers, business, and anime. Which this site manages to capture all three.

I have always wanted to learn more about computers since all I have is base knowlage
of things and the only code I can somewhat
read/write is python...

Complex, if you want to learn how to play
the violin, go for it. Sure its not one of the
easier instruments, but if you learn a little bit on your own then get a tutor, it is a lot
easier. The main problem I have is getting
the vibrato. Even if you don't have the time
now to begin, its never too late to start.

Posted 7/04/2013

FunnyCop you're like a one person band! That's awesome! ^^

My first instruments were the piano and my voice and I played the violin and viola throughout JHS and HS though my main instrument was violin...I had a brief stint with the flute and the recorder but never really got into them. I LOVE listening to woodwinds and brass instruments but I never really had an urge to play them myself lol. Strings all the way for me!

I also love composing music though I haven't had the time to compose instrumentals in a while. Unfortunately, going after a degree is a lot more of a pain in the neck than I initially anticipated so I haven't played violin or viola in a long time. I miss playing music a lot so I keep busy writing poetry and songs (no instrumentals though)

I did get to take a piano class as an elective though so that brought back the joy of music for a little while! 

And WestNyorai is totally being modest!! He has a real talent for all things computer related and is self taught. He's learned so much about coding and putting together a website in just a few short years and he's always looking for ways to improve. I'm proud of his progress and of OtakuElite <3 

Posted 7/04/2013

I absolutely agree! complex your special quality is your way with words. You know how to wield a pen missy! Or...a keyboard...whichever 

Posted 7/04/2013
I can give you some tips for vibrato if you'd like FunnyCop ^^

Posted 7/04/2013

Psh! I was born knowing how to program. D:

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posted 7/04/2013
 That would be awesome! I can't fathom the idea of playig an instrument where my hands are doing two different movements at the same time...
I thought about going to college for music but I don't want a one-instrument or a music only degree. When I looked at Juliard in New York, I realised that music as a profession is not for me.

Posted 7/04/2013

I absolutely agree! complex your special quality is your way with words. You know how to wield a pen missy! Or...a keyboard...whichever 

Thanks you guys!

Also, sometimes I don't get your jokes, chief. 

As NeNe said, post-secondary school is sort of a pain; it takes up so much of your time, so right now it's nearly impossible for me to learn the violin. I did attempt to do so back in 7th grade, but the music teacher, whom had been THE only music teacher for my school for so many years, had this huge reputation for only teaching students who already knew how to play an instrument, even just a bit. It is true. He never taught me anything. I picked up the violin I think 3 times and never again, nor any other instrument, for the rest of the year. Before that I picked the flute, and once he caught on that I could barely play he ditched me. After that I lost all interest. At this point I'm not too eager to learn instruments because there's many other things I'd rather spend my time doing & ameliorate: my yoga skills, my escrima skills, my PR skills, my writing skills, my drawing skills, my adobe illustrator skills (just started learning), deeper meditations & other similar practices. 

Posted 7/04/2013
Also I think it's amaaaazing that you are self-taught in programming, chief, that's really something.
I am attempting to be self-taught in PR for now through experience, because I might do a master's degree in public relations, but that is in quite a few years from now. Besides, considering the fact that I hate school, I most probably might not go back to school after my bachelor's, teehee. Honestly, school is such a drag.  

Posted 7/05/2013
 That would be awesome! I can't fathom the idea of playig an instrument where my hands are doing two different movements at the same time...
I thought about going to college for music but I don't want a one-instrument or a music only degree. When I looked at Juliard in New York, I realised that music as a profession is not for me.
 Yea it was difficult for me to grasp at first too but then it became second nature. Most important thing is to make sure your wrist is positioned properly and that it's relaxed enough to be flexible. Vibrato comes from a combo of wrist and finger motion so if your wrist is collapsed against the neck it'll be really difficult to achieve. When you hold the violin your wrist should be straight.

Then to work on vibrato start with a single finger on the fingerboard (I usually did my middle finger), keep the tip of your finger firmly on the string, and pull your finger back towards the scroll and then push it forward towards the bridge slowly. Keep doing this without lifting the tip of your finger from its spot where it is pressing the string down. If you bow while you're doing this you'll hear the string make a warped kind of sound. 

Keep rocking your finger back and forth making sure that your fingertip is firmly on the string and then gradually speed up. Eventually you'll get to the sound of a normal vibrato! 

Let me know if this helps! 

Posted 7/05/2013

Thanks you guys!

Also, sometimes I don't get your jokes, chief. 

As NeNe said, post-secondary school is sort of a pain; it takes up so much of your time, so right now it's nearly impossible for me to learn the violin. I did attempt to do so back in 7th grade, but the music teacher, whom had been THE only music teacher for my school for so many years, had this huge reputation for only teaching students who already knew how to play an instrument, even just a bit. It is true. He never taught me anything. I picked up the violin I think 3 times and never again, nor any other instrument, for the rest of the year. Before that I picked the flute, and once he caught on that I could barely play he ditched me. After that I lost all interest. At this point I'm not too eager to learn instruments because there's many other things I'd rather spend my time doing & ameliorate: my yoga skills, my escrima skills, my PR skills, my writing skills, my drawing skills, my adobe illustrator skills (just started learning), deeper meditations & other similar practices. 

What a total lame! I hate teachers who don't fully do their jobs! Grinds my gears man ><
I'm sorry you had to experience that complex

Btw who's jokes do you not get? 

I can't remember if I asked this before, but once more can't hurt haha. What are you getting your bachelor's in?

Posted 7/05/2013
westnyorai = chief. I don't get his jokes.
I just transferred into Publications. I was doing this thing called Environmental Design before.
And thanks, but it's okay NeNe! He was a prick to more than half the class so I wasn't alone, and because we couldn't fail no matter how bad we did in junior high, we didn't care. Plus we would easily cheat on his music tests, hahahaha! Yeah, we would pass our answers around so casually because he would always leave the class. Those were the days man.

Posted 7/05/2013
I just transferred into Publications. I was doing this thing called Environmental Design before.
And thanks, but it's okay NeNe! He was a prick to more than half the class so I wasn't alone, and because we couldn't fail no matter how bad we did in junior high, we didn't care. Plus we would easily cheat on his music tests, hahahaha! Yeah, we would pass our answers around so casually because he would always leave the class. Those were the days man.
 Sounds like my music teacher, except he didn't give tests and didn't even attempt to help students learn how to play their instruments. What made it worse is the fact that there aren't any good private music tutors around my area. The only way someone got out of teaching themselves how to play a instrument is if the previous instructor got tired of retirement and came to guest-teach. Which was a 0.0000000000001% chance of happening.

Thank you NeNe I will have to get out the violin again.

Posted 7/05/2013
If you mean the man behind the curtain thing, it's just a half thought out Wizard of Oz reference to the scene where Dorothy pulls away the curtain to revealing an old and feeble man controlling the great and powerful Oz. In this case an old and feeble version of the site.

Posted 7/05/2013
If you mean the man behind the curtain thing, it's just a half thought out Wizard of Oz reference to the scene where Dorothy pulls away the curtain to revealing an old and feeble man controlling the great and powerful Oz. In this case an old and feeble version of the site.

Oh.

Lol, well Wizard of OZ is ancient.

Posted 7/05/2013
Don't worry, most of my references go over people's heads.

And I just saw the movie Oz The Great and Powerful a few weeks ago... It wasn't good. lol

Posted 7/05/2013
Okie dokes.

Posted 7/06/2013
 Ah I see. Hahaha...not to worry WestNyorai is like a fine wine...he's an acquired taste that gets better the longer you have him around XP

I've got years of practice understanding his humor but sometimes even I am confused lol 

I actually had a professor that left the room for our final as well. Glorious glorious professor.

He's my favorite in the entire school lol.

Posted 7/06/2013
Also, I'm liking the new avatar FunnyCop! 
Permanently remove poll and all votes forever.
Open
Notice
Closed
Deleted
Edit Post
Cancel Edit
Achievement!
Document the discovery of a new anime.
#38646;